How to use WordPress plugin: WP-Cumulus Flash based tag cloud
I love this tag,very,very.
- Make sure you're running WordPress version 2.3 or better. It won't work with older versions.
- Download the zip file and extract the contents.
- Upload the 'wp-cumulus' folder to your plugins directory (wp-content/plugins/).
- Activate the plugin through the 'plugins' page in WP.
- See 'Options->WP Cumulus' to adjust things like display size, etc...
In order to actually display the tag cloud, you have three options.
- Create a page or post and type anywhere in the content. This 'tag' will be replaced by the flash movie when viewing the page. See here for more info.
.NET Baby Baby Life Babys Baby toys childred toys Children Toys Comic Cross Stitch Dating family Happiness Happy Health tag cloud The love world is big the love world is small Toys WordPress Plugin WP-Cumulus Atwork (1)
Family Life (40)
WordPress Plugin (1)
- Add the following code anywhere in your theme to display the cloud.
<?php wp_cumulus_insert(); ?>This can be used to add WP Cumulus to your sidebar, although it may not actually be wide enough in many cases to keep the tags readable.
- The plugin adds a widget, so you can place it on your sidebar through 'Appearance'->'Widgets'. Open the widget to access it's own set of settings (background color, size, etc).
My theme/site appears not to like this plugin. It's not displaying correctly.
There are a number of things that may prevent WP-Cumulus from displaying or cause it to display a short message about how it needs the Flash plugin.
- In 99% of all cases where this happens the issue is caused by markup errors in the page where the plugin is used. Please validate your blog using validator.w3.org and fix any errors you may encounter.
- Older versions had issues with PHP 5.2 (or better). This has been fixed, so please upgrade to the latest version.
- There have been some cases where WordPress' Automatic Plugin Upgrade feature breaks the plugin. After upgrading the plugin the Flash movie file would be corrupt for some users. If this happens to you, please try disabling and reinstalling the plugin (through FTP).
- Please try using the 'compatibility mode' if you're using version 1.20 or better. Although it's better to fix whatever is causing the issues with the normal mode, this can be used as a workaround solution.
Hey, but what about SEO?
I'm not sure how beneficial tag clouds are when it comes to SEO, but just in case WP Cumulus outputs the regular tag cloud (and/or categories listing) for non-flash users. This means that search engines will see the same links. They're hidden through CSS by default, but there's an options to make them visible.
I'd like to change something in the Flash movie, will you release the .fla?
As of version 1.12 the source code is available from wordpress.org under the GPL license. Click "other versions" and get the developer version.
Some of my tags occasionally hit the sides of the movie and are cropped
If this happens you should change the aspect for the movie to make it wider. This can be done by increasing the width, but also by decreasing the height. Both will make the movie 'more landscape' giving long tags more room.